One ( of many tests ) I did

1 Like

should worked now. I switch it from private to unlisted

yes, like a veil !
Well, there is something like that in there but it’s subtle.

Hi Andre,

this looks nice. When you mention veil, i assume you want the smoke to go downwards like a dry ice effect ?
We were thinking to add a targeting method that attracts the smoke to a shape and keeps it within. This can be prototyped by building a more complex volume compositing network ( using the finiteDifferenceNode(gradient) multiplied with the inverse of the sdf field ), but its not ideal and a more advanced method that tries to keep the contained/targeted smoke in an equilibrium would be much easier to control. The latter is important as the fluid solver will try to keep things incompressible and pushing everything into a confined area is exactly what it tries to avoid.
Let me know if this is something you’d like to see in a later Eddy release and we can keep that on the radar.

Either way its great you producing cool looking results.

Cheers,
Christoph

1 Like

Thanks.
The target idea is a good I would say. Especially when you want control the smoke/fire ( Like it’s sucked by a vacuum )
Cheers
André

Can you explain this node please ?
Maybe with a nuke script

Cheers

André

Hi Andre,
I can’t explain how the node works on the math side, but I can show you a great use for it. ‘Curl’ noise is great for interesting turbulence.

Checkout the script here.

Hi Andre,

i put together a quick scene which shows some other uses of the volume composting operators.
it builds a simple force field attracting the fluid to the surface of the sphere.

as I mentioned before I personally consider this not ideal as it doesn’t address the fluid equilibrium issues I mentioned above when forcing lots of densities in to a confined space. As a result you’ll see smoke trying to escape here and there.
The solution for this is a bit more involved and might be easier if we make a separate Element template for this to not pack it all into an Uber Solver Element.

There are some really cool things we can do with the solver, so let me know if this is something you are specifically after and we can look into it later.

let me know if you have any questions.

cheers,
Christoph

guide_andre_v2.nk (7.6 KB)

2 Likes

sorry I had to put the video temporarily on private