Noise reduction/ Quality improvement parameters

I tried multiple things but it looks like no matter what I try I still get pretty harsh noise in my renders.
I tried raising Maximum progression in E_Render to 800. It’s helping a little bit but rendering time increases dramatically. Right now I’m around 10 minutes per 2k frame which is not bad but I’d like to improve noise levels. Is there anything I’m missing in settings? Any tricks?

thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Your rendering settings look fine. Increasing the number of progressions does reduce the noise, but the improvement is not directly proportional so it can end up needing a lot more progressions than is practical. The lighting setup and volume properties can also have a big impact on the amount of noise, if you could share your scene file then I’d be happy to take a look and figure out what’s going on in this case.

Thanks,
Niall.

Hi niall,

I would highly appreciate yout feedback on this.

Apologize for hardlinking files, you would have to redirect it quickly to your own location
Mostly noise started coming up after I used Image as a gobo holdout for godrays.
It was more or less ok before that I think.

One thing I also was wondering about is that volume compositing operation after E-Image. I think I picked it up somewhere in sample files. Until you subtract small amount from the volume it doesn’t seem to work.

That is image I’m getting running that script

thank you very much for help,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately the E_Holdout combined with the E_Image doesn’t work as a gobo holdout. The E_Holdout is for opaque holdout objects which can be specified as a mesh or an SDF surface. So in your case the E_Image is being interpreted as an opaque SDF surface, which probably isn’t what you want. This is the reason some of the samples were subtracting a small value - for an SDF, subtracting a constant makes the surface slightly larger. Eddy doesn’t currently support gobo holdouts, but they are on the future feature list.

The noise is just due to this being a difficult setup to sample, as the lights are deep inside the volume so simply need more progressions to resolve. Note that increasing the maximum number of progressions won’t slow down the render proportionally, as Eddy will only use the extra progressions in the regions where they are needed. Increasing the error bound at the same time can also help to make sure the additional progressions are mainly used for the noisy region. For example, here’s a render with 5,000 progressions and an error bound of 0.05:

This only took about 50% longer than the 800 progressions. The error bound was probably a little big, maybe 0.02 would have been a better choice. Also a decent denoiser would clean this up even at a low progression count, that’s something we’re planning on including in Eddy very soon.

Thanks,
Niall.

1 Like