Instancing question

Hi,

So I’m wondering what is the best approach to render instances.
I know that we can use time offsets straight after cache_loader to offset files.
I’m wondering how should I move instances around? Should I use e_channel node to transform cache to a different location?
I was looking at e_instancer but it doesn’t have frame offsets so I guess it’s just good for instancing exactly same elements. What would be best application for this? Massive of clouds with reused puffs?

Should I then combine e_channel into one density and feed into e_shader or should I use multiple e_shader and e_renders to render all of it?
I’m looking into rendering like dozen different instances so would be cool to have a way to proceduralize it. I guess I can always write a bit of python to generate random networks but would be great if we could populate point cloud with caches or something like that.

Any advice or suggestions are highly appreciated.

thank you!
Tim

One thing that is quite annoying and I’m not sure how to counter it is when you use time offset there is no way to control frames that are out of range. Would be great to have frame range knobs on e_chacheLoader to limit legal frames. so if time offsets requests -5 frame e_cacheLoader will return empty volume instead of erroring that file isn’t there.

I’m getting something like this on batch:

E_Merge1: ChannelSet does not contain a channel named ‘’ - which then caused: Could not get channel named ‘’ from ChannelSet - which then caused: Node::evaluate failed for node ‘E_Channel1’, plug ‘field’. - which then caused: Failed to find required evaluation inputs for node ‘E_Merge1’, plug ‘field’, .
Failure encountered processing node out at frame 1; E_Merge1: ChannelSet does not contain a channel named ‘’ - which then caused: Could not get channel named ‘’ from ChannelSet - which then caused: Node::evaluate failed for node ‘E_Channel1’, plug ‘field’. - which then caused: Failed to find required evaluation inputs for node ‘E_Merge1’, plug ‘field’, .

Hi Tim,

the next version of Eddy will have a major rework of the instancing system, which will address most of your issues. This should hopefully be publicly available shortly.
I’ll add a ticked to handle non existing files a bit more gracefully.

Cheers,
Christoph

Hi Tim,

I’ve added missing file error handling on the cache loaders and that will be part of the next release.

cheers,
Christoph