Element - when to hit reset

Hi,

so with Eddy 2 we have the fancy reset indicator telling us when an Element needs to be reset.
This seems to happen a lot though, even when things change that don’t have anything to do with it (need to provide more details here I guess).
My question though is: do I actually have to hit reset all the time or is it enough, like before, to just rewind and play the sim again after changing upstream parameters?

Cheers,
frank

Heya Frank,

The “Nuke Auto Cache” will not auto-reset at all anymore on a rewind from my understanding. So if you want to see your upstream changes correctly , rewind/Reset Element.

I like to make it a floating button to make life easier.

Thanks Matt. Sounds like a button in the viewer toolbar would be in order in that case.
I think you can do this via python, might have a look

1 Like

Might be best if this was done on C++ level. There are flags that can be set on kobs to make them show up in the viewer toolbar:
https://learn.foundry.com/nuke/developers/113/ndkdevguide/knobs-and-handles/knobflags.html

Toolbar knob
TOOLBAR_GROUP Set by a BeginToolbar to turn a standard group into a Viewer toolbar. Usually not altered manually.
TOOLBAR_LEFT Used to define the position of a toolbar knob. Usually set during the BeginToolbar/EndToolbar construction phase.
TOOLBAR_TOP Used to define the position of a toolbar knob. Usually set during the BeginToolbar/EndToolbar construction phase.
TOOLBAR_BOTTOM Used to define the position of a toolbar knob. Usually set during the BeginToolbar/EndToolbar construction phase.
TOOLBAR_RIGHT Used to define the position of a toolbar knob. Usually set during the BeginToolbar/EndToolbar construction phase.
TOOLBAR_POSITION A convenience mask for the position part of the flags.

Hi Frank,

This is actually something that’s already in one of the dev versions and should be available for the next release.

Cheers,
–Ronnie

2 Likes

I’ve found that not only do you need to do reset - but if you don’t rewind and then reset, you still don’t get your new data in the cache file. so hitting reset and rewinding does not necessarily give the same result as hitting rewind and then reset - which surprises me!! And sometimes I seem to need to purge the cache all together. I float the E_Element property window - then it’s always there to play with.

Thanks for verifying that, I had the same feeling here - and adopted the same workflow: float the element panel, scale it down so iot only shows the reset button and park it in a handy spot.