Crash when vdb is empty or missing

Hi,

the renderer keeps crashing for me.
First I tried to render frame 1000 when my vdb sequence only started at 1001:

Eddy[INFO]    - E_CacheLoader1: Loading channel data from file /ohufx/shows/MDQ/shots/TU/TU_020/render/3d/MDQ_TU_020_fuse_v01/MDQ_TU_020_fuse_v01.1000.vdb
EddyNuke[ERROR  ] - EVALUATION ERROR: Could not find VDB file named '/ohufx/shows/MDQ/shots/TU/TU_020/render/3d/MDQ_TU_020_fuse_v01/MDQ_TU_020_fuse_v01.1000.vdb' - which then caused:
  Node::evaluate failed for node 'E_CacheLoader1', plug 'channel_set'. - which then caused:
    Failed to find required evaluation inputs for node 'E_Channel3', plug 'field', . - which then caused:
      Failed to find required evaluation inputs for node 'E_Remap3', plug 'field', .

Then it crashed on frame 100-1 because the vdb was empty apparently:

Eddy[INFO]    - E_CacheLoader1: Loading channel data from file /ohufx/shows/MDQ/shots/TU/TU_020/render/3d/MDQ_TU_020_fuse_v01/MDQ_TU_020_fuse_v01.1001.vdb
Eddy[WARNING] - Loader contained no voxels
Eddy[INFO]    - 'eddy-engine-render' license checked out.  Expires on 2018-12-01 23:59
Eddy[WARNING] - Empty bounds detected.  Aborting render.
EddyNuke[ERROR  ][E_Render1] - Failed to create render state, not rendering

Would be nice to just render black in both cases instead of core dumping.

Now it just randomly crashes:

Eddy[INFO]    - E_CacheLoader1: Loading channel data from file /ohufx/shows/MDQ/shots/TU/TU_020/render/3d/MDQ_TU_020_fuse_v01/MDQ_TU_020_fuse_v01.1016.vdb
Eddy[INFO]    - Inserting 106238 new buckets. Sparse grid now has 106238 active buckets
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Eddy_for_Nuke-2.0.0+160.9a57f17-nuke11.2-Linux
Nuke script attached.

Cheers,
frank
MDQ_TU_020_compEddy2_v05.nk (50.6 KB)

Cheers,
frank

hi frank
i am really sorry i am very new to eddy just start using it

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the bug report. I’ve changed the CacheLoader node to now produce a warning when a file is not found, instead of halting with an error. The renderer will also now just render black if the volume was empty.

However I couldn’t repro the core dump, possibly this is something related to the particular VDB file you are loading? Let us know if it continues to happen in the next build.

Thanks,
Niall.

1 Like

Great, thank you!
The core dump might have been random, I do get them every now and then.