Best working scale?

Hi all,

Starting to set a few things up and the first day is going well. Was wondering what might be best way to work scale wise?

Scaling down the real world camera (a lot) I am guessing is the best way to avoid having to set the Scalar Resolution to high to see results in 3D space.

Thanks for any input

Murray

Hi Murray,

Generally I try to keep things as much as possible to real world settings and adjust voxel size settings accordingly. Eg if you do a large volcano really set it up in that scale and for a candle pick a smaller one. I personally work in meters, but you can pick any unit as long as you change voxel size and buoyancy settings accordingly.
Also worth mentioning is that the lighting and absorption of the density will behave differently at different scales.

Cheers,
Christoph

Hi,

I’m back on some tests with Eddy.
Trying to sim something more accurate so scale question arise.I think initially I’m getting stuff imported to Nuke and it’s in cm. Nuke units are always cm as far as I know.
Does that means you scale all parameters by 10 when you saying you working in meters?

Best,
Tim

HI Tim,

there are two ways that people work.

• scale down your scene to meters by grouping your input assets and scaling it down by 0.01.

• change parameters accordingly to adopt to different scene scales.

I personally prefer the first option as its less cumbersome to setup and also works better on larger scenes where a cm scale might be less ideal for precision reasons.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Christoph

yes, thank you for clarification